Wow. It’s hard to believe it’s already another Smart Irrigation Month. It feels like just the other day that we were out shoveling away the April snow. Every July, the Irrigation Association runs this initiative to increase awareness of the value of water use and to help grow the demand for water-saving products, practices and services. With July typically being the hottest month of the year for most locales, this may be when you start to see your lawn or plants getting stressed from the immense heat and you may start to think about your water use. Should you water more? Add more sprinklers? Rather than using MORE, consider whether or not your irrigation system is as EFFICIENT as possible. Herein lies the main message of Smart Irrigation Month and the guiding principle of our irrigation installations and services. Oftentimes, the best solution is to evaluate how well your system works and solving and inefficiencies can not only help save water, but can save you money as well.
So, how can you save both water and money this Smart Irrigation Month? Consider your current irrigation system and ask the following questions:
- Does the pavement next to your sprinklers have a lot of water on it after your system runs?
- Is your system running on the same day after it rains?
- Are you using micro-jet sprinklers in your garden and flower beds?
These are some of the most common issues relating to an inefficient or out-of-date irrigation system and resolving them is not only easy but can lead to some major savings. These solutions include:
- Checking the spray area of your sprinklers regularly
- Reducing the pressure of the system to minimize overspray
- Reducing the run time of your sprinklers to give the water a chance to soak into the ground
- Upgrading to a newer, smarter controller that includes a rain sensor
- Convert micro-jet zones to a point-source irrigation method to deliver water directly to the roots of the plant (this can also reduce the number of weeds in your planting beds!)
- Partner with a certified professional to protect your investment
All of our irrigation technicians and many of our foremen are Landscape Industry Certified Technicians, part of a nationwide program that sets standards for how landscapes should be installed and maintained. Scheduling a service walkthrough with one of our irrigation technicians can shed some light on improvements that can be done to make your system more efficient, many of which are simple and cost-effective. If you’re looking to renovate beyond just your irrigation system, we incorporate all of the latest technologies and practices into our new landscape installations to ensure your system is running as efficient as possible from the start. As a possible water crisis in the west looms on the horizon, many companies and governments are taking action to regulate new irrigation installations to ensure efficiency by requiring the latest technology and best practices, something which LID Landscapes has already been doing for years. Give us a call at (303) 440-7833 or reach out to us through our online form to get started on your water-saving journey this Smart Irrigation Month.